History Facts - Surprising Facts about Winston Churchill
- Winston Churchill, like Shakespeare before him, is said to have had a tremendous talent for inventing words. He is credited for inventing the word, "summit" in 1950.
- Churchill was considered for the Nobel Prize several times before he was actually nominated in 1953. That year, he received a Nobel Prize for his contribution to literature.
- Churchill began a prolific spell of painting in 1915, going on to paint up to 500 paintings during the course of his life. Did you know that 50 of Churchill's paintings were exhibited by the Royal Academy of England?
- In 1945, Britain held its first general election in a decade. The conservative party lost by a surprisingly large margin, considering Churchill's role in Germany's defeat. However, he took the news rather well, explaining that "democracy is what we have been fighting for".
- Churchill also popularized the term "Iron curtain", using it to describe how the Soviet government has "descended across the continent" and brought darkness upon its people.
- Churchill was once arrested as a young man in 1899 by the Boers, descendants of Dutch settlers, who were fighting the British. He became something of a hero to fellow Britishers when daringly, he scaled a wall and escaped prison
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the site owner or any brands and companies mentioned here. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors are of their opinion, and are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual or anyone or anything. This article is purely for reference purposes and does not constitute professional advice and may not be reflective of the best choice for your unique situation. This site strives to provide as much accurate information as possible; however, sometimes products, prices, and other details are subject to change. Therefore, this site does not verify for the accuracy of the information presented in this article. This site does not assume any liability for any sort of damages arising from your use of this site and any third party content and services.