The all new 2017 Samsung Galaxy Note8 is here. There has not been a viable Galaxy Note product since the Note 5 was released in 2015. With the shadows of the problematic Note 7 still in hovering, Samsung had to come to market with a high quality product to show that they are king of the smartphone. They have added several new features and have additional improvements over the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus.
Check out the official introduction by Samsung which shows off not only the sleek new design, but also many uses for the improved S Pen.
- Sleek new design: Compared to the Note5, the large 6.3″ Super AMOLED infinity display is not only beautiful, but offers more space to write with the S Pen Stylus. Just like the Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+, the Note8 has a narrower aspect ratio to make it easier to hold. One complaint of the Note 5 and Note 4 was the inability to operate the device with one hand. The narrower design allows for single hand operation while giving the consumer the mega screen size they desire.
- Dual Cameras: There is a standard lens and a telephoto lens with apertures of f1.7 & f2.4 respectively. It is the first smartphone to have dual cameras with both having Optical Image Stabilization (OIC). Currently the iPhone has dual cameras but only has OIC on the standard. By adding OIC to the telephoto lens, it gives a distinctive edge to the Note8 for low light usage from a distance. Further testing will have to be done, but it should be the most advanced camera system to date.
- 6GB Ram: The Galaxy S8 & S8+ only come with 4GB, but the added ram is not only a huge improvement, but necessary for the new applications that work around the S Pen. In order to operate smoothly between traditional apps and the S Pen Apps, the ram will be a boon for performance.
- Dust & Water Resistance: Although not water proof, it can handle the elements and should give owners peace of mind while using the device in unpleasant weather.
- 10nm Processor: The Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 is the current leader in mobile processing performance and is the same that is found in the Galaxy S8 & S8+.
- Security/Assistant: With the standard fingerprint scanning, but now you can unlock the Note8 with your eyes. This feature was on the short lived Note 7, and was found to more more handy then critics had thought. The goal of smartphone design is to reduce the number of touches to perform and action and iris scan is just one more example of that. The Bixby8 personal assistant is another way Samsung is furthering this concept.
- Dex desktop adapter allows you to use the Note8 like a PC with a monitor and keyboard. With the power, storage and memory now included on the device the lines between laptop and phone are getting blurry.
Samsung Galaxy Note8 Specifications
- Dimensions: 162.5 x 74.6 x 8.5mm
- Display: 6.3in Quad HD+ Super AMOLED, 2960×1440 Infinity Display (18.5:9 Aspect Ratio)
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (10nm) octa-core CPU OR Samsung Exynos 8995 (10nm) octa-core CPU – region dependent
- GPU: Adreno 540 (Qualcomm Snapdragon) OR ARM Mali-G71 (Samsung Exynos) – region dependent
- Software: Android Nougat
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Type-C USB, NFC, GPS
- Security: Fingerprint scanner, Iris Scanner, Face Scanner
- Storage: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB
- MicroSD: Yes
- Primary Camera: Dual-12MP, f/1.7 and f/2.4 apertures, 1/2.3″ sensor size, 1.55µm pixel size, Dual-Pixel Phase Detection Autofocus, OIS, 2x optical zoom, touch focus, face/smile detection, Auto HDR, panorama, 2160p video @30fps, 1080p video @60fps
- Secondary Camera: 8MP with autofocus, f/1.7 aperture, Auto HDR, 1440p video @30fps
- Battery: 3,300mAh
- IP68 Certified (Water & Dust Resistant)
- S-Pen Stylus
All and all the Samsung Galaxy Note8 is an attractive option for those who want a high performance device, with a massive beautiful screen and don’t mind paying for it. The current price for the Galaxy Note8 varies based on configuration, but there are specials currently available. Samsung is giving away a wireless charger and memory card or a Gear 360 camera with the purchase of the nearly $900+ priced device.